Do you want fresh vegetables all year round? All you need is a large freezer and… even better if you stock up on your garden.
Not all vegetables are available 365 days a year and for some types grown in greenhouses, the prices are prohibitive and the quality very poor. In the period of the highest harvest of vegetables and the most affordable prices, we recommend freezing. With this system we can guarantee fresh vegetables so that we can eat healthy all year round.
There freezing it is a valid solution for the preservation of vegetables: the cold, in fact, blocks the formation and development of bacteria.
Make sure the vegetables to be frozen is very fresh: the choice must be rigorous if we want the products to keep their texture, their color and their vitamin content intact. They should not be frozen vegetables with a high percentage of water and which are usually eaten raw, such as celery, cucumbers, various salads, onions.
- First of all, clean and wash the vegetables in cold water, washing must be done very carefully, eliminating the parts that are too soft or too hard. According to your needs, cut the vegetables.
- Then blanch the vegetables in boiling water to block the action of the enzymes and the consequent loss of flavor and texture. Finally dry carefully.
- For every five liters of boiling water, 500 grams of vegetables will be immersed at a time.
The standard pre-cooking times, which must be calculated when the water resumes boiling, vary from a minimum of 2 minutes to a maximum of five minutes. Some examples:
- Beans, green beans and peppers, 2 minutes
- Asparagus, broccoli, cardoons, artichokes, carrots and cauliflower, 3 minutes
- Whole carrots, 5 minutes
For storage in polyethylene bags it is important to remove as much air as possible from the bag before closing, remember not to compress too much.
The containers should be filled with enough space for the vegetables to expand during freezing. For better and faster freezing it is advisable to cut the vegetables into small pieces. Vegetables can remain frozen for a year: they do not lose quality.
Attention once defrosted the product cannot be refrozen.
Each color distinguishes a peculiarity of the vegetable or fruit we are consuming:
green, red and orange contain antioxidants;
green and white facilitate recovery from stress after intense physical activity or prolonged exposure to the sun;
the yellow and orange allow for a faster tan;
white purifies the body;
green also strengthens the immune system.