When you travel, for your stay, you can choose a green hotel so as to help reduce the enormous negative impact that hotels have on the environment. The "green hotel”Are all those accommodation facilities such as motels, inns, farmhouses or hostels that use energy and environmental resources responsibly. These structures manage resources in a conscious way: where possible they use renewables and adopt strategies for water recovery and recycling.
In the United States alone, more than 2.6 million hotel rooms are rented every day, the result? An impressive number of guests who will need clean linen, hot meals, hot water for showers and toilets, electricity for light, heating, air conditioning, mini bar and so on. Doing a couple of calculations it is clear the need for the planet, there is a need for a greater diffusion of green hotel.
A guest of a green hotel you will receive a service of the same quality as any hotel, but it will also help the environment. While the customer will have the opportunity to help the environment, on the other hand, the accommodation will be able to save on costs by adopting highly efficient policies, plus they can offer extras to their customers and be included in the prestigious lists of tour operators specialized in ecotourism. A hotel must not be born "green" but can gradually change to marry more sustainable environmental policies, let's see some practical examples:
- The prestigious Waldorf-Astoria hotel in New York CityBy installing an energy-efficient lighting system, it saves 1.2 million kilowatt hours every year.
- One hotel has reduced its water consumption by 2 million gallons per year, simply by avoiding using water for improper food defrosting practices.
- The Fairmont Acapulco Princess and the Fairmont Pierre Marques save millions of liters of water for the irrigation of golf courses by using a wastewater recovery and filtering system
- In Italy, accommodation facilities such as the Gretl am See Restaurant in Caldaro (BZ) have decided to adopt photovoltaic panels in conjunction with the renovation of the roof. In this way, the owner Klaus Maran managed to reduce the costs of energy consumption which until then were very high.
- Always in Italy, the Ristorante Pizzeria Alpina, at the gates of the Dolomites National Park, in Padavena in the province of Belluno, has decided to install a system of about 20 kWp to better manage the high consumption of electricity required during the opening season.
The examples just mentioned have not only improved the image of the businesses in the eyes of customers, but the owners of the facilities have met with large economic savings. To make a difference and be sure to choose one sustainable hotel, just call the structure and ask for the environmental policies adopted. If, on the other hand, the trip includes a foreign destination, a list of green hotel offered by "Green Hotels Association“.